Sunday 26 August 2018

Ang’s ‘kopi peng’ is worth waiting half an hour for

Ang’s ‘kopi peng’ is worth waiting half an hour for



Pro at work: Ang busy making her famous coffee as customers queue up at her Star Coffee stall in Noordin Street, just a block away from Komtar in George Town.

The latest coffee phenomenon in Penang is at an unassuming hawker stall, made conspicuous only by the unbelievable queue of customers there.

Everling Ang has been serving her tasty beverages from a stall in Noordin Street, just a block away from Komtar, since the 1980s.

However, last year, word of her coffee’s unbeatable richness spread and there is a daily crowd at her stall.

“I used to have a lot of customers, but never this many,” said Ang.

“I make various types of hot and cold drinks but the most popular is my kopi peng (iced coffee).

“The consistency of my drinks is most important. It has to be thick enough for my customers to enjoy the taste.

“I add less or more sugar depending on customers’ request.”

Ang, 55, said she also made fusion drinks such as kopi lo (traditional local coffee with Milo), kopi teh (traditional local coffee with tea), Neslo (Nescafe with Milo) and even a kopi teh lo (traditional local coffee with tea and Milo), apart from the usual kopi O, teh tarik, Milo and Nescafe.

“My drinks cost between RM1.20 and RM6.50.

“The kopi peng is RM2 each and RM2.50 for a takeaway.

“Even when the Goods and Services Tax was implemented, I did not increase my prices,” she said.

Ang, who operates her stall from 8.45am to 5pm daily, except on Thursdays, said it was a family business.

Her father ran a coffee stall in Butterworth and she learned the art from him.

“In the 1980s, I moved here with my mother and we ran a coffee stall in a lane nearby.

“About four years ago, I moved to Noordin Street.

“I run the stall with my husband. My friends help me once in a while, but I am the one that makes the drinks.

“The coffee is made from a special blend of traditional local coffee powder, a secret I guard carefully because I plan to pass the business on to my daughter,” she said.

Ang said the craze for her coffee started after she took part in the Penang International Food Festival last year.

“These days, I run out of coffee powder by 5pm,” she said.

Student Nadzirah Zulkapli, 21, who was on holiday from Seremban with her family, waited half an hour to get her hands on a packet of kopi peng.

“When I searched for places to visit on the island, the coffee stall popped up and I decided to give it a try.

“The coffee is better than we expected, and it is such a big packet.

“Usually, back home, it is about RM3.50 and we get half the amount,” she added.

Colleagues Eve Tan, Elaine Chong and Sean Wan, who were in Penang on work commitments, were pleased by the consistency of the coffee.

“It is nice, thick and tasty. For the price, we did not expect it to be this good,” said Tan, a tax consultant.

“The half-an-hour wait was worth it.”

~News courtesy of The Star~

No comments:

Post a Comment